Guatemala is a mountainous country located in Central America plenty of woods; it can be found also Mayas archaeological sites, lakes, volcanoes and exotic birds. Guatemala is bordered by Mexico to the north and west, the Pacific Ocean to the southwest, Belize and Honduras Gulf to the east, Honduras and El Salvador to the southeast. The indegenous community is one third of the entire population of the country. The official language is Spanish; however Honduras has Mayas languages that distinguish each indigenous group.
REGISTRY SYSTEM OF PEOPLE
1.- Specialized organism:
The RENAP is the organism in charge of organizing and keeping the Unique Identification Registry for individuals, so as register the facts and acts related to their civil status, civil capacity and any other information about identification from their birth to their death. Likewise, this organism is responsible for the issuance of the Personal Identity Document. For this purpose, they implement and develop strategies, techniques and procedures that allow an integrated and efficient management of the information, unifying the registration procedures. The RENAP is located in the Capital City of Guatemala. However, it has branch offices in all the Municipalities of the country for a proper fulfilment of its functions.
This organism is autonomous, with public right, juridical personality, with its own patrimony and capacity to acquire rights and to engage obligations.
3. Organizational chart:
- Central Registry of People
- Executive Department
- Training and Human Development Department
- Statistic and Information Department
- Legal Counsel Department
- Administrative Department
- Financial Department
- Management and Internal Control Department
- Processing Department
- Identity Verification and Social Support Department.
- To centralize, to plan, to organize, to direct, to rule and to rationalize the registration of its competence.
- To register births, marriages, divorces, deaths and any other act that may modify the civil status and the civil capacity of individuals, so as the judicial and extra-judicial resolutions that refers to them, that might be registered and any other act stated by the law.
- To keep the Identification Registry for individuals updated on a regular basis.
- To issue the Personal Identity Document for the Guatemalan citizens and resident foreigners, so as the re-issuance and renewal of said document that certifies the identification of the person.
- To issue the certificates of the pertinent registrations.
- To send the correspondent information to the Electoral Supreme Tribunal regarding citizens that are registered and the information requested by said Tribunal for the fulfilment of its functions.
- To promote the creation and training of the qualified personnel that may be required by the Institution.
- To provide the Public Ministry, the police and judicial authorities and any other Governmental entities authorized by the National Registry of People RENAP, with the information regarding civil status, civil capacity and identification of individuals that might be requested. It’s a function also to observe that the citizen’s right for identification so as any inherent rights that comes from registration in RENAP, is a fact.
- To provide information about people, under the principle that information in the possession of RENAP is public information, unless it may be used to affect the honor or intimacy of the citizen. It is established as public information without restriction: the name and last name of the person, the identification number, the birth date or death date, sex, occupation, profession, nationality and marital status, address is not included.
- To implement, organize, keep, and supervise the operation of the dactyloscopical and pelmatoscopical registry of the individuals.
- To present a lawsuit or act as a law complainant in such cases in which some illegal act may be detected in regards to identification of citizens.
- To comply any other function assigned by law.
5. Identity documents in the Guatemalan system:
Birth Certificate and Personal Identity Document.
6.- Name of the Identity Document :
The Personal Identity Document is the official, public, personal and non transferable document. All Guatemalans and resident foreigners registered in the RENAP, have the right to request and obtain the DPI (Personal Identity Document).
It is the unique document to be used in every civil, administrative and legal act, and in general, for all cases in which it is required by law. It is the document that allows the citizen to be identified in order to perform his right to vote.
- Birth registration
- Birth Certificate
- Marriage Registration
- Marriage Certificate
- Divorce Registration
- Divorce Certificate
- Decease Registration
- Decease Certificate
- Registration for adoption
Reforma Avenue 2-18 zone 9, Cortijo Reforma Building, 2nd floor,
Guatemala, Guatemala, C.A. – PBX: +502.24161900 – Call-Center: 1516
9.- Main Regulation.-
Decree 90-2005 that decrees the Law for National Registry of People (Spanish: “LEY DEL REGISTRO NACIONAL DE LAS PERSONAS” (RENAP) )