Haiti, a Caribbean country, is occupying the West portion of the island of Hispaniola, and it’s bordered by Dominican Republic to the East. Its main activities are based on agriculture and are focused on industry and manufacture as sugar factories, textile and distilleries. Products for nourishment of the country are also obtained such as corn, millet, cassava, sweet potato, cacao, coffee, and banana.
REGISTRY SYSTEM OF PEOPLE
1.- Specialized organism:
National Identification Office (ONI).
The National Identification Office depends on the Ministry of Justice and Public Security.
3. Organizational Chart:
The General Bureau is the main structure of the National Identification Office. In addition and under its authority are the Financial and Administrative Office, the Technical Office and the Central Office of Civil Status. The National Identification Office has 141 branch offices in the whole country, one per community at least.
The Register Office Clerks are also under the Ministry of Justice and Public Security which has more than 180 offices distributed all around the country.
The ONI has as a main purpose the identification of the entire Haiti’s citizens and they issue the National Identification Carte for those citizens older than 18 years old. This Carte is a personal and non transferable document with an official status and it is accepted in the whole country. All the Haitians have the right of requesting and getting the NIC which is used in every civil, administrative, legal and any other act in the country. Besides, it is the document that allows citizens to identify themselves in order to perform their right to vote.
Among other functions it can be stated:
- Proceed with the identification of the Haitians.
- o keep a National Identification registry.
- To receive requisitions for the National Identification Carte.
- To process and renew the National Identification Carte.
- Provide the Haitian Statistics Institute with collaboration for census of population.
- To execute any other functions assigned by law, to collaborate with the Elections Council in setting the election lists.
On the other hand, the Register Office Clerks are in charge of register births, marriages, divorces and deaths, among other civil acts and facts.
5. Identity Documents in the Haitian system:
Birth Certificate and National Identification Carte.
6.-Name of the Identification Document:
National Identification Carte
ONI: To issue the National Identification Carte
Register Office Clerks: register of births, marriages and deaths, among others.
509 (244-1002 / 1010), (509)- 2244-2392/ 2244-9996
9.- Main Regulation.-
- Civil Code
- Decree dated June 1st. 2005 regarding to the National Identification Carte.
- National Identification Office’s project law.