The United Mexican States is a federal constitutional democratic republic with a Government based on a presidential system whereby the President of Mexico is both Head of State and Head of Government, and of a multi-party system. The Federal Government represents the United Mexican States and it is divided by three powers: Executive, Legislature and Judiciary according to the Political Constitution of the United Mexican States, published in 1917. The constitutional states of the Federation must also have a republic government based on a congressional system according to what is established in their correspondent constitutions. Mexico is a federation comprising thirty-one free and sovereign states.
REGISTRY SYSTEM OF PEOPLE
1.- Specialized organism:
National Registry of Population and Personal Identification (Renapo) is an organism responsible for the population registry, for the acknowledgement of identity of individuals who reside in the country; the designation of a Unique Password for the Population Registration; the establishment of regulations, technical methods and procedures for the National Population Registration, and the coordination of identification and registration methods of public federal administrative dependencies.
The RENAPO institution depends on the Governance Secretariat. The Governance Secretariat will provide the Federal Electoral Institute with the information from the National Citizens Registry that was necessary to integrate the electoral instruments, according to the terms established in the law. Likewise, they can provide the aforementioned information to another public entities and dependencies which may require it for the fulfillment of their functions.
3. Organizational chart:
Included in the RENAPO, the National Registry of Population and Personal Identification’s General Officeis the organism responsible for the registration and the acknowledgement of identity of the individuals who reside in the country and also of Mexican citizens who reside abroad, so as the coordination between the Civil Registry State Offices. The National Registry of Population and Personal Identification’s General Office has some information sources such as the Public Ministry who report any accidental or violent deceases, and the Civil, Familiar and Mixed Law Courts who report judicial divorces. Consequently, the National Civil Registry System records the vital facts and civil status changes of individuals through its Law Courts.
National Registry of Population and Personal Identification’s General Office:
- To organize and to operate the National Registry of Population and Personal Identification by recording national individuals and foreign individuals who reside in the country;
- To keep the registry of Mexican citizens who reside abroad;
- To provide all individuals residing in the nation so as Mexican citizens residing abroad with the Unique Password for Population Registration;
- To promote the entering of agreements for coordination with the Federal Government entities in order to adopt and use the Unique Password for Population Registration during the registration process of people in its pertinent state jurisdiction;
- To issue Citizen Identity Card so as the Personal Identity Document for Mexican persons under 18 years old, as it is stated in the General Population Law;
- To issue the pertinent policies aimed to make the Civil Registry entities do assign the registration and personal identity password in the certificates of civil status of individuals, and to verify its proper application;
- Establish the rules, methods and technical procedures for the National Population Registry, so as to coordinate the registration and identification methods in the Federal Public Administration entities and dependencies;
- To act as a technical, advisory and operative organism for the activities performed by the Civil Registry Courts, according to the agreements signed for this purpose;
- To process and produce the information supplied by the Civil Registry Courts in the country and the Federal, State and Municipal Public Administration entities and dependencies;
- To administrate sanctions established by the General Population Law regarding to the registration of population and personal identity;
- Any other function appointed by the correspondent Ministry, within his legal competence.
5. Identity documents in the Mexican system:
Birth Certificate, Citizen Identity Card so as the Personal Identity Document for underage persons.
6.- Name of the Identity Document:
Citizen Identity Card (CEDI), so as the Personal Identity Document for underage persons.
The CEDI provides biometrical identity of each Mexican citizen and it is a legal and effective guarantee of identity and juridical personality. It is an objective of the CEDI to guarantee the right of identity in order to facilitate the population the exercise of their rights and the fulfillment of their obligations. The procedure for the issuance of the CEDI requires binding the juridical identity with the biometrical information of each person, using for this purpose the Unique Password for Population Registration “CURP”.
- Birth Certificates before Civil Registry Offices
- Marriage Certificate before Civil Registry Offices
- Divorce Certificate before Civil Registry Offices and Civil, Familiar and Mixed Law Courts
- Decease Certificates before Civil Registry Offices and Public Ministry Agencies.
- Fetus decease Certificate before Civil Registry Offices and Public Ministry Agencies.
- Paperwork in order to obtain the CURP before the National Registry of Population and Personal Identification RENAPO.
- Citizen Identity Card so as the Personal Identity Document for Mexican persons under 18 years old before the National Registry of Population and Personal Identification RENAPO.
Reforma 99, Col. Tabacalera
Delegación Cuauhtémoc, C. P. 06600
Mexico, D. F.
9.- Main Regulation.-
- Each of the thirty-two states has constitutional provisions related to Civil Registration or Identity Right.
- General Law for Population being updated in January 4th. 1999.
- The General Law of Health in force since 1984 that rules the use of the Decease Certificate and the Fetus Decease Certificate throughout the nation using a unique format since January 21th. 1987.