Peru is a country situated in the west side of South America and its territory borders the Pacific Ocean to the west, Ecuador to the northwest, Colombia to the northeast, Brazil to the east, Bolivia to southeast and Chile to the south. It is a country which geography is principally dominated by the Andean range and the Pacific Ocean current where both play an important role in the type of climate and the quite diverse landscapes. Its main economic activities are agriculture, fishing, mining and manufacturing products as textiles.
Politically speaking, the country is organized in a Presidential Democratic Republic with a multi-party system structured under the principles of separation of powers and decentralization. Peru is divided in 25 regional circumscriptions (24 Departments and the Constitutional Province of Callao).
REGISTRY SYSTEM OF PEOPLE
1.- Specialized organism:
The National Registry of Identification and Civil State (RENIEC) is the organism in charge of organizing and keeping the unique identification registry of the person. It is the one who directs the National Identification System in which are the Civil State Registries that are in charge of recording the vital facts and vital acts of the person in the municipalities located in provinces, districts and minor towns throughout the country.
RENIEC is a public and autonomous organism, legally constituted with public right and with powers related to registration, technical, administrative, economic and financial matters. It is under the Electoral System, (JNE y ONPE) as is indicated in the Article 177 of the Constitution from 1993 currently in force.
3.- Organizational chart of RENIEC:
- National Headquarter.
- National Sub Headquarter.
- General Secretariat.
- Management Offices.
- Sub Management Offices.
- Regional Headquarter.
- Department Headquarter.
The organisms that perform activities related to professional advice and support are represented by the Management Office of Planning and Budget, Management Office of Legal Advice, Management Office of Corporate Image, Management Office of Administration, IT Management Office (Information Technology), Management Office of Human Resources and the Great Studies of Registration’s Centre CAER.
The operational organism that execute the main functions of the RENIEC are represented by the Management of Registration Operations, Management of Registration Process and Selection, Management of Certification and Digital Registration, making the authority and responsibility of said organisms stronger.
The RENIEC comprises 198 Agencies throughout the country and 21 Registration Offices (*) in Lima City, Callao, Piura, Trujillo, Chiclayo and Cusco. Additionally, there are 27 Auxiliary Registration Offices, which work in hospitals, for the registration of births and deceases, providing a better service to citizenship.
1. The registration of births, marriages, divorces, deceases and other facts and acts that modify the civil state.
2. To issue the pertinent certificates.
3. To elaborate and keep updated the electoral roll.
4. To provide the National Election Jury and the National Office of Election Process with the information that might be necessary for the fulfillment of their duties.
5. To keep the identification registry of citizens and to issue the pertinent document that certifies their identity.
5. Identity documents in the Peruvian system:
The Birth Certificate, the Military Card and the National Document of Identity (national identity document).
6.- Name of the Identity Document:
The National Document of Identity (DNI) is the name of the document of identification. The DNI is the document that makes effective the fundamental right to identity and the exercise of citizenship and, consequently, the civil and political rights that arise from it. Likewise, the information regarding to the national identification contributes to the design and implementation of the public policies of State. From March the 1st. 2004, the DNI is the sole and exclusive identity document for the citizens who have reached the full legal age (18 years old) who fully exercise their civil and political rights.
Identification Procedures: Registration of citizen of age, registration of minors, Duplication of DNI, Renewal of DNI because of expiration, Exchange the Electoral Carte by the DNI, Registration Certificate and Other registration acts.
Civil Registration Procedures:
Registration of Births, Registration of Marriage, Registration of Decease, Registration abroad, other registration acts.
Cuzco Street 653 Lima, 1
Phone number (511) 315-4000
Bolivia Avenue 144, Torre Centro Cívico, Lima , 01
Phone number: (511) 315-2700
9.- Main regulation.-
- Political Constitution from 1993 Article 2, item 1 which indicates that every person has the right for identity. The right of identity comprises the right of name, the right to acquire a nationality and the right a person has to know his (her) parents and to carry their last name, and basically, it implies a juridical acknowledgement of the person by the State. The RENIEC is created by the article 183 of the Constitution.
- The Organic Law of the National Registry of Identification and Civil State (RENIEC), Law 26497 dated July 12th. 1995.
- The Registration Regulation in the RENIEC was approved by Supreme Decree Nº 015-98-PCM.
- The Peruvian Civil Code from 1984
- Resolution 001-99-JEF/RENIEC states that the RENIEC is the organism in charge of issuing certificates regarding birth registration, through the Chief of Civil Registry Office.